Early Years and Foundation Stage
.At The Breakspear School in the nursery and reception classes we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum. It is based upon four fundamental principles.
- A Unique Child: Every child is a competent learner who can be resilient, capable confident and self-assured.
- Positive Relationships: Children learn to be strong and independent from a base of secure relationships with parents, other children and ‘Key People’ in the nursery.
- Enabling Environments: A well planned environment plays a key role in supporting and extending children’s development and learning.
- Learning and Development: Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates and all areas of learning and development are equally important and are interconnected.
he EYFS curriculum is centred on children learning through play and their first hand experiences. It is delivered across seven distinct areas of learning which are subdivided into the Prime and the Specific. These areas develop the children’s key skills, knowledge and understanding which are built upon as they progress to more formal education in Key Stage 1 (Years 1 & 2) and beyond.
Prime Areas of Learning
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
We support children in developing a positive sense of themselves and others, to form positive relationships and
- develop respect for others, to develop social skills and learn how to manage their feelings, to understand and to demonstrate appropriate behaviour and to have confidence in their own abilities.
- Communication and Language
Children are given opportunities to experience a rich language environment, to develop their confidence and skills in expressing themselves and to listen, understand and speak in a range of situations.
- Physical Development
Children are provided with a wealth of opportunities to be active and interactive and to develop their co-ordination, control, and movement. Children begin to understand the importance of physical activity, and in making healthy choices